From the first few days of my diet change I got my hands on a cookbook called Eating Clean by Amie Valpone. When I read the forward and the message from her in the first few pages I felt like I was reading my own story. I instantly connected with her and soon found out her cookbook was one I would grab most of all the new ones in my collection. Despite the fact I still need tweak most recipes to suit my diet restrictions, there is one go to recipe in her book I make almost weekly. Friends and family know (if they have stayed here in the last 9 months) how good this one is. Its my go to not only on most weekends but also when we have people staying here because it is so easy to make, double to make more and its never failed to be a crowd pleaser.
This is no ordinary Oatmeal, this is seriously party in your mouth – the mix of spices and flavours is perfection.
Oh and bonus – if you let it sit out for a few hours and come back to it, it’s just as good cold. With a little bit of vegan butter, it taste like the best blueberry muffins.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Makes: 4-6 servings
- 3 Tablespoons for melted coconut oil – divided
- 1 tablespoon of chis seeds
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 2 cups of gluten free oats
- 1/4 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1.5 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large pinch of sea salt
- 1 3/4 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup of agave or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large pear or apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven at 350
- put 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in the baking dish you choose to use
- place the chia seeds in the 3 tablespoons of water and set aside to thicken
- In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients and mix well
- Whisk together the almond milk, syrup, vanilla and chia seed mixture
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together and stir well.
- Place the sliced pear or apple on the bottom of the baking dish to make a crust like layer
- Pour the mixture on top
- Sprinkle the top with blueberries ( I sometimes also add other berries and unsweetened coconut)
- Bake for 30 mins on middle rack
- Remove and let sit for 10-15 mins before serving
There are many ways you can serve this, sometimes we add more almond milk, or nut butters. Whichever way you choose it will be just as amazing.
Enjoy, this is seriously one of those recipes that will become a staple in your home.